This pair of convertible mittens should have been easy. It was my third pair, and I was using a pattern many others have used before. Easy, however, they were not. For the most part, the trillion mistakes I made were due to my own inattentiveness. Message - don't try to modify an already quirky pattern unless you plan to pay attention to what you're doing.
Anyhoo, there are two (maybe three) main areas of modification. First, the Broad Street Pattern is made for giganta-hands. Why are mitten patterns so often written for one size? The world may never know. Anyway, I started out by casting on 40 stitches instead of 48, and the numbers worked out pretty well from there.
BTW, there's a mistake in the Knitty pattern - when you increase at the end of the cuff, you're supposed to *k4, inc 1* rather than *k3, inc 1*. I did all my increases, including those for the thumb gusset, by doing *k3, kfb next stitch*.
I also worked only 10 increase stitches for the thumb gusset instead of the pattern's 14. The numbers for each finger are slightly different, too - instead of picking up 15 stitches per finger (7+8), I ended up doing 12 stitches per finger (6+6).
The other main difference is the method of decrease on the flap. I hate star decreases for mittens because they end up looking asymmetrical to me, and nordic decreases look pointy. Instead I did a gathered sort of increase like so:
K flap even until two rows or so above index finger length (you will have to eyeball this). Then:
Row 1: *k2tog* repeat * to * all the way around.
Row 2: K even
Row 3: *k1, k2tog* repeat * to * all the way around.
Row 4: K even
Row 5: *k2tog* repeat * to * all the way around.
You'll now be left with 6 or 7 stitches. With a yarn needle, run yarn end through all stitches and pull to draw together. This produces a nice rounded tip. Although they get a little bunchy with fingers inside, I still prefer this effect to an uneven or pointy one:
I named these mittens "geranium glittens" because this shade of Sock Garden really does look like the geraniums in my window, and will, I'm sure, keep me a bit happier through the grey months once I finally wear them next winter. Though the pattern was a nightmare in some respects, I have to put in a plug for the yarn - very easy to work with and the color works up beautifully and not too uniformly. And my total cost for this project was $3.99!
Broad Street Mittens: A Story of Swearing