Notes: A lot of you have been asking me lately what happened with those glittens I made months ago, from a very modified version of the Patons pattern with which I made Clayton's honkin' huge convertible mittens. By the way, the Patons pattern came in one size: honkin' huge. So I set out to make a pair of glittens pour moi, scaled down for my nearly childlike paws. The result is what you see above, and I will try to reconstruct the modifications I made, and reflect on what I'd do differently.
What went right:
Smaller thumb / thumb gusset: I continued the thumb gusset increases until there were, I believe, 10 stitches between the 2 purled stitches rather than 14.
Shorter palms: I omitted a few rows from the palms once the thumb gusset was complete. I think I knitted 7 rows even above the thumb gusset rather than the 10 specified.
Stockinette fingers: Rather than ribbed fingers, I went with stockinette, which I thought looked better and made the fingers a bit tighter.
Shorter, more rounded flap: Rather than alternating decrease rows with even rows, once I began decreasing I decreased every row. This eliminated the flipper-like pointy shape of the original pattern and made the flap shorter overall.
What could have gone better:
Wrists way too loose: for some reason, probably because I was paranoid about the fingers being too small, I cast on the 48 stitches called for in the pattern. I think a combination of the pattern and the ultra-soft yarn means the ribbing on this pair is really loose, and as a result the wrists are annoyingly loose, which you can sort of see in this photo:
I think I could have gotten away with casting on 40 instead of 48, and having the fingers be 2 stitches more snug (though they aren't as loose as the wrists).
Thumb / thumb gusset still too big: I think I picked up two too many stitches from the palm when I started the thumb, which meant the thumb was only 2 stitches smaller than the original. My thumb is just not that chubby.
So the bottom line is that because of the looseness of the wrist and thumb, I find myself gravitating toward my old thinsulate-lined, non-homemade gloves more often than I do my glittens. I'm thinking of frogging these to correct the problems, but probably won't get around to it till next fall.
By the way, Clayton ADORES his glittens. I have been told multiple times by both him and his girlfriend that they are his most prized piece of indoors-outerwear. If you're making convertible mittens for a man, I still think the Patons pattern is just about as good as it gets for worsted-weight yarn. As for us delicate lasses, we'll just have to keep trying.
Here's a shot of the closed glitten: